Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Who's The Strongest?

First, something light. I've been studying at night with some students who were asking about "swimming" the other day. We were talking about how important it was to learn about, and what it meant. I asked if there were any questions about it, and one girl spoke up and asked shyly, "How long do you have to stay underwater?" That was the first time I'd ever been asked that. One guy--who's been swimming before--quickly retorted, "Not three days!" (referring to A Really Good Man, whom we had just talked about). I thought it was really cute to say the least. Very innocent, and something that sounded like it should come out of the mouth of a four-year-old. I smiled, and I wanted to laugh (not at her), but refrained when I observed the concern and seriousness on her face. She really had no idea. Needless to say, it sparked something in my head. Even most kids at home don't ask that question (at least I'd never heard it or of it), and I suppose that's because we've all seen what happens. I have mixed emotions about it. In a way, it's really sad that is something that's never been witnessed. But, it definitely makes me feel good about why I'm here.

Okay, now the heavy. I've found myself having several conversations with different people over the past week or two about strength. I think there is a misunderstanding about how strong belief is. I've gotten the impression that several people, particularly people back in the states, consider my co-workers and me "strong" because we're here. I also get feedback from students here about being strong and knowing so much. To be honest, I don't see myself as being all that strong. I'm not trying to be modest, just honest. But all of these comments make me wonder, "Who IS a strong believer?" I think most often at home, we equate Book knowledge to faith. I think this is a serious mistake. Especially when I consider the believers of old, who didn't even have a real Book, but were taught be others. How was their belief made strong? Wouldn't that make their belief stronger? Honestly, someone may be strong, but it's not because of how much they know or have studied. I think it's more about living. When I look at Heb11, I don't see a lot of "smart" guys. Instead, I see a lot of people who lived life as it should be lived. Doing what NEEDS to be done, no questions asked. We would do well to remember that is more important than seeing who can quote the longest lines from the Book. The Book knowledge will take care of itself.

Do what NEEDS to be done, no questions asked.

-K

No comments: