Sunday, March 19, 2006

Not In Control

This has been a really strange weekend. Most of the foreigners here agreed that we all felt a little flat for some reason. Sunday in particular. However, we had a really good weekend. I got up early on Saturday and went with nine of my students to hike up a mountain and have a picnic. I made the mistake of assuming that it would be over by 1 or 2 p.m. I should know better than to make such presumptions in China. We actually hiked up to the top of the mountain for a great view! The weather was a little foggy when we started out, but by the time we were getting ready to come down from the summit, the sun had burned most of the haze off. It was neat to be away from the noise of the city and to sit looking over the silent buildings. I wondered if that was similar to some experiences that the Good Shepherd had around the hills of Jerusalem. We went back down the mountain halfway and stopped for our picnic next to a small mountain spring. We spent two hours cooking the food, but it was worth it, since all my students seem to be really good cooks! After lunch we finished our descent, and I didn't get back to school until 5 p.m.! It was definitely worth the time spent with my students, and I also learned of a really great spot very close to where I live!


I guess I realized this weekend that we can have things going really well in so many ways, and still not be completely happy within ourselves. He is the one who provides our happines, and without Him, it doesn't matter how smoothly things go. This simply adds to my thoughts as I think about my plans for the future. Going home, grad school, jobs, all of these things can go great, but won't be worth much if I don't acknowledge His control. I just have to let go.

I'm out of control, and I think I like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems like the hardest thing in the world to do is to let yourself go out of control. We want to control our surroundings, we want to feel secure. Being out of control can be scary, but knowing the Power that you put in control should be a great comfort.